#JDAMblogs - Jewish Disability Advocacy Day







Tomorrow (February 6) is Jewish Disability Advocacy Day (JDAD) in Washington DC. It is coordinated by The Jewish Disability Network; a network of national Jewish organizations engaging in advocacy on disability issues. Co-chaired by The Jewish Federations of North America and the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism, this is an exciting opportunity to learn about legislative issues of importance to individuals with disabilities and their families. The advocacy efforts will focus on two key issues:  

  • Asking Members and Senators to sponsor the Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act, which encourages saving private funds for the purpose of supporting individuals with disabilities 
  • Asking Senators to support ratification of the Disabilities Treaty, which promotes the rights of people with disabilities across the globe based on the standard set by the Americans with Disabilities Act
I anticipate that this will be a little bit like a mini L’Taken Seminar for Social Justice for grown-ups! 

I’m looking forward to meeting quite a few people that I only know online or by their Twitter handles. I intend to tweet throughout the day, so feel free to follow me at @JewishSpecialEd and keep an eye on #JDAM14

Finally, this will be an opportunity to stretch outside my comfort zone since political advocacy is not my typical “wheelhouse”. I think that it is genuinely significant for us to embrace such opportunities as educators and leaders. I have written in the past about leading by example, and recognize the importance of practicing what I preach.


Be sure you never miss a post from Removing the Stumbling Block:

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Do not publish, curate, sell, post, or distribute all or any part of this blog's content without express permission of the author. You are invited, however, to share links to posts on your webpage, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social networking sites. If you are interested in republishing any Removing the Stumbling Block content on your own blog, in a newsletter, or if you wish to use any content in another educational way, please contact me. I am also available to write unique content for your specific network.