Resolutions to Promote Meaningful Inclusion



I'm not usually one for resolutions.  I find that despite good intentions, I typically revise or abandon one, if not most, of my resolutions by the end of January. Even when I was young and had to write resolutions as a school assignment, I had a tough time coming up with ideas. I typically stuck with clichés like “be nicer to my brother”, “clean my room” and “listen to my parents”.

Resolutions to Promote Meaningful Inclusion; Removing the Stumbling BlockMaybe this is because, as a Jew, New Year’s feels a little redundant. We’ve already welcomed our new year, and the celebration of Rosh Hashanah follows a month of reflection and introspection.

Nonetheless, when something significant comes to an end there is a valuable opportunity to think deeply about what was accomplished while looking ahead with renewed commitment and optimism. So, I’m leaving the past in the past and giving it a shot. 

Here are my Resolutions to Promote Meaningful Inclusion:

  1. Practice what I preach:
We each must lead by example. Talking the talk of inclusion is good, and those of us who blog are particularly adept at it, but if we don’t also walk the walk, our great intentions are for naught. 

  1. Keep pushing the boundaries of what is possible:
Inclusion is most successful when committed advocates push the boundaries of what others think is possible. I will continue to speak out, make waves and create new opportunities. 

  1. Expand my network, continue my learning:
It is widely accepted that the best educators are the ones who are actively engaged in advancing their own learning. I've discovered the rich potential of becoming a connected educator and growing my Personal Learning Network (PLN) on Twitter (Learn more about this concept and follow me: @JewishSpecialEd).

  1. Seek and embrace new opportunities:
I am grateful for the many opportunities that have come my way since starting this blog. I’ve been published in a variety of places, been invited to speak at conferences and have even been interviewed on a popular inclusion podcast! I am looking forward to more in the coming year.

Ben Azzai taught: “Despise no one and call nothing useless. For there is no thing that does not have its place and no person whose hour does not come.” Pirkei Avot 4:3



Be sure you never miss a post from Removing the Stumbling Block:

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Do not publish, curate, sell, post, or distribute all or any part of this blog's content without express permission of the author. You are invited, however, to share links to posts on your webpage, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social networking sites. If you are interested in republishing any Removing the Stumbling Block content on your own blog, in a newsletter, or if you wish to use any content in another educational way, please contact me. I am also available to write unique content for your specific network.